Overweight and Over 50,
Will There Be a Second Chance at Love?

About Me

Hi I'm Margot and I show the ups and downs and quirky side of dating for those over 50. Even if they think there is no Hope, I show them there is...I hope!

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Number 1 Rule For Making Friends

At a well known university the professor was working with his students to prepare them for a final they would be taking the next week. Each day as the students arrived they would pass the building maintenance worker sweeping the floors and picking up trash. When the day of the final finally came the students were surprised to find only one question on the test paper…..What was the name of the building maintenance worker?

A few weeks ago our mailman came to the door with a package. I asked him if it felt good to get out of his truck once in awhile and stretch his legs. He said he would be out of the truck permanently after that Friday because he was retiring. I thanked him for his years of service and wished him a happy retirement. As I thought of all the years he had served us and I never really took the time out of my “busy” life to get to know him. The most I offered was just a polite smile and nod if I saw him while getting the mail.
My family and I thought it would be a great idea to celebrate his retirement with a card and balloons. Well my “busy” life kept me from acting on my good intentions, but my daughter and son-in-law followed through. While I was at work that next day, they tied a big bunch of balloons to the mail box and a card that was set up so that it would play when the mail box was opened. You know, I think it made his day. I wonder how many people on his route will even know that he’s gone. The most embarrassing thing for me is that I didn’t even know his name until he sent us a thank-you card. How might my life have been enriched if I had taken the time to get to know this person? I blew the # 1 rule for making friends...Get to know them.


And worst of all….I didn’t even find out if he was single!

1 comment:

  1. Yes Margot life happens so fast sometimes we forget to take time to stop and smell the roses per say.Life is all about the relationships we make but better yet it is about the relationships we keep.

    Thank you for sharing your story.

    Ernie(ethicalernie)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. It' always interesting to get a different perspective.